Marina/Esther – sneak preview 1×18 (now with videos & dialog translations)
[Paradise: wait wait wait wait... I think you've got your Dante backwards!]
[this sneak preview is, in absence of BAM, based on the discussions and comments on the Italian board. There will most likely be additions and/or corrections later. - If you want to quote these translations elsewhere, you are welcome to do so, as long as you link back to this original post and credit the creators.
A Spanish version of these transcripts can usually be found at Sam’s blog within hours of my post, a Chinese take on things a few days later over at Lang’s blog, while discussion continues on the Chinese Marina/Esther forum.
Videos embedded below.
Bea has generously offered to provide me with transcripts, so here is just a brief summary of the videos, scene by scene, to be extended later with dialogs and details:
- The ex is back! A worried Esther is asking Vera, who seems to be the chief pediatrician for all of Milan, what will happen with Marina, Vera tells her that it's probably just formalities.
- Enter Marina, who drops a set of folders "File these, thanks", into Esther's hands, takes Vera's arm and walks off with Vera. Marina: that was not very classy. Esther seems to think the same as she stares after the two with a mixture of fear and jealously. Teresa, watching the scene, is short of risking her eyes popping out of her head.
- Vera is giving Marina the speech every good ex would give at this point: stop beating yourself up, stop the what ifs, you couldn't have known this, it's not your fault. Still, Marina remains in her bleak mood, blaming herself. Vera tells Marina that she's there for her, clearly in more than one sense, Marina hugs her, and Vera seems to process the hug, realizing that it doesn't taste like romance. Either way, a nice and nuances, scene. (Vera: call me if you're over her!)
- A baby is brought into the hospital, Marina takes the case, now overly cautious, gruff and worrying about every possibility. Esther tries to soothe the tense mood, to not much avail.
- Marina trying to calm the crying baby. Esther enters, Marina asks for the test results. Of course, it's nothing grave, a slight medication overdose. Marina takes her bad mood out on Esther, and orders her to look for Vera, to make sure the baby is all right. Esther walks off, hurt by the attitude.
- Vera tells Marina not to worry, the baby is fine. Marina would need to trust in her medical abilities. Marina says she'll try. Vera repeats that she's there for Marina. Cut to a very frightened looking Esther. Marina and Very walk off chatting with the cordial confidence exes tend to have, Very offers Marina to find her a lawyer.
- Rocco (I am going to miss this guy!), offering to share his lunch with a crying Esther, and telling her it's okay to be jealous. Esther says it's not just that, it's how Marina treats her,a s if she didn't know her. Rocco reminds Esther that this was to expect, after Esther's behavior, and that Esther needs to do a step towards Marina now. A big step.
- Vera asks to talk to Esther, telling her in no uncertain terms that she's still in love with Marina, that she will do everything to win her back and that she won't stand back because of Esther. And that she won't take prisoners in this game. Esther replies that it's not a game for her.
- Gossip Central: a new nurse is expected to pick up work today, Teresa has the whole scoop on how she's the daughter of the boss, Sergio. The girl in question appears, a friendly, very young looking girl with rasta curls. She asks for Esther, assuming they already told her the gossip, Esther pretends not to know, so the girl states flatly that she is the daughter of the boss, but that it doesn't mean anything. Esther admits that, well, a she might have heard a phrase here or there.
- Marina, playing with the baby that has the intoxication (fat foreshadowing for a lesbian pregnancy storyline in season 2, which we will now be spared).
- Esther gives rasta nurse the hospital tour, stopping in Pediatrics to gaze longingly at Marina through the window., which Marina eventually notices Rasta nurse has to drag her away.
- Esther introduces the new rasta nurse to Valerio and Palumbo. Commonplace pleasantries ensue.
- Esther leaves rasta nurse with the hospitalized young mother.
- Marina finds the cradle in Pediatrics empty. Given her current state, she breathes fire and brimstone as she walks off in search of the baby
- It turns out that rasta nurse simply took the baby and gave it to its sister, Marina (in good, old marina fashion) tells the nurse off in no uncertain terms, but she is under so much strain that she makes the baby cry and comes across as overly harsh. Esther tries to calm her.
- Marina does what she's best at: putting rasta nurse in her place.
- Marina is on the phone with her lawyer, Esther walks up and waits to talk to her. It turns out that the phone call was from Marina's lawyer, there are no grounds for a malpractice suit, the case will be tossed out. Esther seems more relieved than a still tense Marina and immediately uses the moment to ask Marina out to celebrate these good news. Marina say thanks, but that she doesn't feel like it.
- It's Teresa's 20-year anniversary at the hospital - there's cake, Rocco asks for candles, and there's champagne and general good Gossip Central mood. As a gift, the gang, organized by Rocco's wife, gives Teresa a belly dance hip belt - something that Teresa clearly finds hideous even though she tries to say the contrary. It's Esther who shows her how to use it, btw. Nice touch. Gandini is called to the OP, Laura is sulking in a corner, possibly over Valerio being transferred away, and then Esther asks rasta nurse whether she has seen Marina. No, says the nurse. (we guess she means not since the dressing down Marina gave her)
- Marina leaves the hospital, saying goodbye to the reception lady and when asked whether she doesn't want to join Teresa's party, she declines. She walks out into the parking lot in the dark.
- A worried Esther asks at the reception counter for Marina; upon hearing that it can't have been 5 minutes till Marina left, she storms out in search of Marina.
- While unlocking her car, Marina is interrupted by the crazed out mother who lost her child in episode 1x17 and who still blames Marina (as does Marina herself). She draws a gun on Marina just as Esther sees Marina and runs towards her. Marina begs her to stay back, Esther walks up right next to her. Bad slow motion with drama soprano music begins as they stand in shock. Esther tackles Marina to the ground as the mother fires the gun. Marina doesn't react as Esther tries to upright her, there is blood spilling from her mouth. Last image: Esther throwing herself over Marina's body to discern a heartbeat. End of series.
Scene descriptions and dialog translations by guest translator Bea (many thanks!):
Esther and Vera Corradi walking around the hospital, then stopping outside the Paediatrics Room.
E: So, Dr. Ranieri is going to be prosecuted?
V: No, the decision about that is yet to be made.
E: But you told me that...
V: I told you I was summoned by Dr. Ranieri's lawyers as Head of a Paediatrics ward, to give an opinion on the child's records, that's all. So that, in case we are brought to trial, a defensive line will be ready.
E: I understand...
Marina joins them.
M: (to Vera) I'm sorry I made you wait.
V: Don't worry.
M: (to Esther, handing her some sheets) These are ready to be filed. Thank you. (to Vera) Listen, I need to take a stroll, do you mind coming with me?
Marina and Vera outside the Morandini.
M: Did you take a look at the records?
V: Of course, and there's no trace of malpractice, nor of malice, least of all of guilt!
M: I knew you wouldn't be objective.
V: I knew you would have said so. That's why I asked Giuliani, the Head of Children's Cardiology, about his opinion: I made him write it down, the words are different but the meaning is the same. Marina, nobody could have predicted a child of that age was affected by brain aneurysm. You have to make it up with yourself.
M: Vera, I can't do that. Everytime I close my eyes I see him there, looking at me.
V: I understand it, but you couldn't have done anything more than what you did.
M: If only I had evaluated his symptomps better...
V: Stop it...
M: If only I had ordered a CAT right away...
V: Marina, you're just hurting yourself! "If, if if..."!
M: I don't know, it feels like time has stopped: I can't go back and I'm not able to go on.
V: I'm here. I'm here.
The entrance of the hospital. Marina is to take care of a newborn baby who has possibly been poisoned by his father who tried to committ suicide and to take his whole family (wife, newborn son, another son and a daughter) with him.
M: When did he eat?
Paramedic: I don't know, when we got there he was sleepy, he woke up inside the ambulance.
M: Do you know what he ate, at least?
P: (handing her a baby's bottle) Look, I was told to give you this, it was beside him when they found him.
M: Did he burst into inconsolable crying, did he vomit...?
P: No vomit, he cried in the ambulance, but look at him now...! Looks like he's well...
M: Well, leave that decision to me, will you? I don't know if you get this is a hospital, not a crèche, I'm a doctor, I'm not an anxious mother: This child could be
E: Do you need something?
M: Yes, I would like a complete check up, a toxicological exam, and you'll have me this analysed (handing her the bottle) Let's go.
Marina, in her room, the baby in her arms. Esther comes in.
M: Do you have the results?
E: No benzodiazepine. Agneprazine.
M: I knew he must have been given something...
E: Child's narcotic, more than what he should have taken but not worrying, right?
M: Do you make diagnosis now?
E: Well, that's not the point, I wanted to help you...
M: Don't you see how much he's crying?
E: He might be scared, maybe he's hungry...
M: Could you please call Vera Corradi? She must still be out there somewhere...
E: Look, there's no need...
M: Please, go summon her.
Marina and Vera walking down a corridor.
M: So, what do you think? It seems the child's fine, but...
V: He's indeed fine, he's lively, he's unperturbed, and the analysis confirm that, don't worry.
M: After everything that happened, I don't rely that much on my instinct.
V: Well, your instinct's a bit conditioned at the moment, but you shold have faith in your skills as a doctor, which are extraordinary.
M: I will try.
V: I'm here for you, keep that in mind.
M: I know.
V: Ah, by the way, I need to talk to your lawyer, about the valuation, I'll let you know afterwards... I'm calling him later.
Outside the hospital. Rocco joins Esther, who has overheard part of the conversation between Marina and Vera.
R: Something to eat?
E: Got a light?
R: Yeah... At home. Want some?
E: What are you eating?
R: Nothing special, tuna and tomatoes. My wife lacks creativity due to the heat, it just needed some mayo and a boiled egg...
Esther starts crying.
E: Come on, don't look at me like that Rocco, please!
R: Do you want me to leave? Shall I look the opposite way? Look, it's normal to be jealous when you're in love.
E: I'm not jealous. Ok, I'm jealous, too, but what hurts the most is that she treats me like I'm a complete stranger...
R: Ok, what do you want from her? That's a particular situation she's facing at the moment, she has this problem, so now it's your turn to take a step towards her, and I mean a real step. Remember when you said you weren't ready for her? Well maybe now she doesn't feel ready for you.
E: Ok, but I never... I never treated her like a stranger... Never.
R: Are you sure? Then, you know what? The sandwich with tuna and tomatoes and no mayo is inedible, that's what...!
Esther is at the reception's desk. Vera approaches, having a phone conversation with Marina's lawyer.
V: I'm going out right now, Sir. I will be there in about half an hour, is it ok for you? Perfect. (she hangs up the phone and, to Esther) can I talk to you for a minute?
E: Of course.
V: I guess my presence here doesen't please you much...
E: Why do you think that? I never said that.
V: Well, if I were you I would hate it. I'm still in love with Marina, and I will do everything in my power to win her back. Marina needs me at the moment, and I won't step back.
E: I don't get what you want to say, I...
V: I'm telling you I won't step back just because of you. We will play under the same conditions.
E: For me, it's not a game.
At the reception's desk, Teresa and Rocco bring Esther up to date on the identity of the new nurse, that is, Professor Danieli's daughter. Esther and Emma Danieli meet.
Marina alone in her room, cuddles the baby she's taking care of (showing deep love and care for children as usual)
M: Hey... You're a lion cub, you... You don't cry... Hey...
Esther showing Emma Danieli around in the hospital - she stops and stares out of the Paediatrics Room. Marina, still holding the baby in her arms, notices.
Scenes 11, 12 and 13
Esther introduces Emma Danieli to Dr. Palumbo and Dr. Santamaria, then takes her to the little child's sister and tries to tell Danieli the news. He is busy with Dr. Costa and tells her to come later.
Marina returning to her room.
M: (to the child) Tobia, look what I brought to you?
She notices the crib is empty and walks out again in a hurry.
The young girl's room. Looks like Emma Danieli has taken Tobia to his sister. Marina bursts in.
M: What's this all about? Give me the child.
Young Girl: Don't, you'll make him cry!
Esther comes in.
E: Dr. Ranieri...
M: For God's sake, how could you take this baby here?! He's one of my patients.
YG: He's my brother!
Emma Danieli: Sorry, Doctor. I looked forr you to ask for permission, but I couldn't find you.
M: Who are you?
E: That's the new nurse.
ED: Emma Danieli.
E: That's Professor Danieli's... daughter...
M: Ah, we're starting the right way, Miss Danieli, you've done something very bad. Come with me. (to Esther) You stay with them.
Marina confronting Emma Danieli.
ED: I just thought that, seeing what that girl has undergone, it would have done her good to...
M: This kind of considerations isn't up to you. You think you can do as you wish because you're the daughter of the Head Doctor here?
ED: No, I do as I wish because I have a brain. My father's position doesn't change anything.
M: Ah, so your colleagues who respect rules are idiots?
ED: Rules must be interpreted.
M: Very well, now interpret my rule this way: take that child where he was. Don't say anything, I'm not interested.
ED: Don't you find it petty to make it a matter of power over a 16 years old girl?
M: And don't you find it childish to keep playing the role of the rebellious brat for the sake of it?
Esther walking towards Marina's room, she's about to get in but Marina comes out, she's talking on the phone - she sees esther but ignores her.
M: No, sorry if I was speaking quietly but a little child was there with me, he was sleeping. Tell me. Really? No, that's wonderful. Thanks for callng me. Bye.
E: Look, I'm sorry about Danieli's daughter, I... feel responsible for that.
M: No, no, don't worry.
E. Good news?
M: Yes, it was my lawyer. He talked to the deputy prosecutor and it looks like they will press no charges on me.
E: Wh... That's fantastic, right?
E. Why don't we go out tonight and celebrate? It's on me... Do you feel like it?
M: Sorry,Esther, I... don't.
E: Why not?
M: I'm not in the mood, really, thank you.
Scene 19 and 20
Everyone's shift ends and celebration for Teresa's birthday starts. Marina is not there. Esther asks Emma about her but the nurse hasn't seen her, neither.
Marina walks towards the exit, on her own. The nurse at the reception's desk asks her whether she's going to Teresa's birthday party and she says she won't.
Marina walks towards the parking lot, people greet her as she passes by. A dark shadow comes out from behind a tree and addresses her. Marina is stunned.
Esther has walked to the reception's desk, she asks the nurse about Dr. Ranieri. the nurse says she left some five minutes ago. Esther runs out of the hospital.
Marina facing the woman who was waiting for her.
W: No, you can't understand. Nobody can understand. A woman losing a husband, that's a widow. A child losing his parents, that's an orphan... A mother losing her son, there's not even a name for her, she's nothing.
M: (looking at the gun the woman is suddenly pointing towards her) You won't bring your son back like this, don't...
Esther has spotted Marina and calls after her, running.
W: I'm nothing now...
W: I don't have anything more now...
E: Marina, I need to talk to you
M: Stay back.
E: I need to talk to you right now!
W: Don't move, you!
E: Oh my God...
W: Who's that?! Go away... Go away!
M: I told you to stay back!
Initial Episode Overview
Well darn it. Once more, BAM seems to be offline with computer trouble (I am typing this at 3:21 am) and I am trying to piece the episode together via the Italian forum while we wait for the videos.
First of all, this preview comes with a warning. While this is not quite on the bleeding-out-on-her-wedding-day Pepa/Silvia level (where, at least, we had a couple happily in love, until one of them died), it is not far from it. It is nowhere in the happy range, either. Happy range was only available for Gandini/Malosti tonight.
As for Marina/Esther, the curses are many and the synopses are few in the 1x18 thread on the Italian board - ranging from ""what a d*ick of an episode" to "the most incongruent and harshest episode ever".
From what I could gauge, the dead child's mother (1x17) comes back to go after Marina.
Esther is apparently not doing much to come to Marina's aid, although she does seem to say to Vera, Marina's ex, at some point that "this is not a game" for her.
Marina, even though the boss told her in no uncertain terms last time that she did nothing wrong, ends up being fired and much as I would like to say "I mean fired as in losing her job" (as I initially had understood it), it seems to be far more along the lines of "a gun being fired at our favorite pediatrician".
At this point, forum reports veer off into Twilight land - apparently, there is some action about a gun which is drawn from a jacket (uhm, since when is there a permit in Italy to carry concealed arms? Did Berlusconi change that law, too?).
I haven't been able to figure out yet who draws that gun - my guess would be the mother who lost her child - but it is Marina who is the target of the attack.
In classic season cliffhanger manner (the producers must have been very sure that they would get many seasons to come, or perhaps they simply can't wrap their mind around LGBT people and happy ends and that they could possibly fit together, no matter what Ratzi & Silvi0 B. keep saying), the last image of Marina is, it seems, the pediatrician "seemingly lifeless", with a trail of blood spilling from her mouth.
to be continued... or at least that was the intention, only now there will be NO CONTINUATION.
Now, this ending could mean a variety of things:
1) the show is now turning into a lesbian vampire movie and they simply cut the final scene where Esther walks in in something black and skimpy to ride off into the eternal moonlight with Marina.
2) Italy has been Berlusbombed back into the Stone Age, culturally speaking - shooting down the only lesbian character on prime time drama? Next to the wave of current attacks against LGBT people and locations in Rome, this is not only a sad ending for someone who enjoyed the storyline, but a worrisome signal on the broader scale of public perception - "let's shoot the lesbian for cliffhanger points. Hey, it'll be almost like in real life!"
3) 2009. A bad year for lesbians on TV. They can't have accumulated THAT much bad karma!
4) the RAI2 poeple bought the rights to "Los Hombres de Paco", too. At least Marina didn't wear a bridal dress.
5) I know a good fan fic challenge when I see one. Once more, it seems to be the task of the fan fic writers to procure a happy end here. Ah well. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it. Which, I guess, means that I will see you back here next Friday night at 9 p.m., trying to fix this mess. It might take me a few more Fridays than just one since I am swamped in other projects, but I'll do my best.
For now, all that remains for me to do is to to point your towards the bottle of high end "del Colle" grappa, I'm sure you could as glass of it as much as I do.
Meanwhile, let's remember TdU like this:
Videos, once more, with thanks to macayestherforever:
No more previews. This was the finale of the first season that was still filmed with the possibilities of further seasons in mind. Due to low viewer turnouts (and seriously weak marketing), however, 1×18 is also the series finale. Now let the fandom take over.
This sneak preview has been made possible thanks to the Italian forum. Header screenshot made possible by the episode trailer uploaded by mary_iena. English translation: mine.
These translations/descriptions/sneak previews are just an Italian finger exercise of mine and try to cover the core scenes of Marina and Esther, which means that there may be video footage in the clips on YouTube that is not covered here. I do, however, try my best to include everything that is essential. There may be occasional glitches or mistakes – feel free to point them out in the comments.